We are an evangelical Baptist Church which started in a home in 1890 with a vision to reach the rapidly growing village of Shirehampton and the Port of Avonmouth. The founder members crossed the tidal river from Pill several times a week. This was a dangerous journey by ferry, particularly on dark winter nights, but they persevered and a successful children’s work was established. Money was finally raised for the church building in 1904.
In the last decade we embarked on a major refurbishment program. A team of retired church members totally renovated every part of the church. It took seven years and our lovely church is now beautiful, warm, comfortable and a joy to worship in. Step by step we raised £160,000 and finished without any debt.
Shirehampton is a pretty suburb in the north west of Bristol which retains the charm of an independent village. The village is a busy with a good selection of shops and supermarkets, library, Post Office etc. There is a range of employment and many residents work in neighbouring Avonmouth and the vast docks at Portbury. The village borders the river Avon and has many open green spaces including river walks.
Closer to God … Closer to each other …
Closer to the Community
Our beliefs – encapsulated
- Our first duty is to worship God and the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe the Word of God is living and active and has power to transform lives and to bring healing and help for everyday life.
- We are a caring Fellowship and we value one another as we pray and share together. We recognise each of us has both natural and spiritual gifts which are needed for the body of Christ to function and to be built up.
- We endorse the Baptist Union mission statement “Encouraging missionary disciples”. We believe this happens as we use our gifts to serve the Lord in the community and in our places of work or study.
Our life – in brief
- Sunday – Morning Worship: 10:30 – 12.00. The coffee bar after the service is a hub in the life of the church. On a typical Sunday morning it buzzes with noise and the latest news and ideas until the last straggler goes home.
- Weekdays – We have Homegroups and each operate slightly differently to study the Bible, share concerns, pray together and social activities throughout the year.
- On Monday – There is lively prayer for the state of the nation and our city of Bristol. Prayer for Israel meets once a month – attended by those from within the church and from other churches.
- Schools – We have good connections with local primary and secondary schools through assemblies.
- Mainly Music – For Mums/Dads/Carers and Toddlers. This is highly regarded as the best in Shirehampton and always has a long waiting list. Special events are celebrated. The group is exceptionally well equipped with toys and there is always a music session for everyone to sing, along with actions.
- Prayer Point – A small group meets to pray for the community once a month. Two or three offer prayer outside to passers-by, a small group inside prays over the prayer requests brought in. Over the years many have had prayer and we have made many contacts in the community.
- Everyday Men – Meet on the last Thursday of the month to discuss a wide variety of subjects. These have included recent sermons, free will and predestination and what’s in the daily news.
- Gospel Generation Cummunity Choir – meets to practice in the church and from time to time gives concerts.
- Trussell Trust Foodbank – We support a local foodbank. Donations of food are collected every week.
- Social Events – The last Sunday of the month a social evening organised by younger members of the church takes place. Other social activities within the fellowship include Harvest meals and fellowship lunches.